Friday 23 January 2015

Becoming a Teacher

I never realised how hard it is to become a teacher. I know that if you want to teach a single subject e.g. science then you have to have a degree in science then an one year teacher training course. When I wanted to become a teacher I decided that I wanted to become a Classics teacher, as that was the subject that called to me most (I did want to be a Welsh teacher but I wouldn't have been able to handle so much Welsh!).

My plan for the future was go to Swansea University, get a degree in Classics and then do my one year teaching course and I'd be away, however my plan for the future was scrapped because I didn't get the grades needed to get into my University as I completely fail at exams. I passed my A Levels I just didn't get the grades that my Classics course required, on the other hand I did get the grades required for my second choice Education Studies at Swansea Metropolitan University or as its now known University of Wales Trinity Saint David.

As such I am now attending UWTSD and have finished my first year. I have reworked my dream so that instead of becoming a Classics teacher, I'm going to become a Primary teacher instead. I believe that this is a better dream because while I did want to be a Primary teacher, then a Welsh teacher, then reverted back to becoming a Primary teacher, which then became becoming a Classics teacher which failed and I went back to wanting to be a Primary teacher. I always knew I wanted to become a teacher (if I couldn't become an actress) but I never knew how hard it was going to be.

I know have three years of learning about legislation such as the 1944 'Butler' Education Act or the 1988 'Baker' Education Act or learning about different types of Racism, Sexism etc. or the different types of Special Educational Needs and the acts about SEN. While some of it can be really really interesting at the same time some of it can be really mind numbingly boring.

While I know some people would drop out and get a job, I'm not going to do that. I am going to stick the three years of Education Studies out and then I am going to do a one year course to become a Primary teacher and I am going to remember every piece of legislation, every SEN, every mind numbingly boring fact because it will help me achieve my dream

No comments:

Post a Comment